Elements Miniseries

Discuss the latest Adventure Time Episodes and Mini-Series.

Re: Elements Miniseries

PostPosted by A Blob » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:51 pm

*****SPOILERS*****

Really wasn't feeling these episodes. The whole thing felt... off. It felt so forced and weirdly paced that I almost can't believe this was the same team that made Islands. It feels like they were going for a more light and comedic tone compared to Islands, which I'm cool with, but a lot of the humor really fell flat for me.

There were way too many things going on in this, and nothing felt fully developed. Patience barely appears, her motivations are still pretty vague, and she doesn't really get any sort of closure. IK and Magic Betty got some decent interactions near the beginning, but they kinda get pushed aside later on, and the resolution with Betty seemed very abrupt. Lumps are an element now? Ok, I can accept that, but for how much focus LSP got, she still felt just as one dimensional as ever.

On a more positive note, I did enjoy seeing all the elemental versions of the cast. The designs were suitably bizarre, and it was nice to see so many cameos from previous seasons (I was pleasantly surprised to see Choose Goose again). Having each element tied with a different emotional state was an interesting concept too, even if it made the elemental regions feel a bit one-note.
There was also some decent Finn and Jake interactions in this. The haircut scene in Cloudy was a high point for me, although I think the episode could have worked fine as a stand alone episode rather than part of a miniseries.
A Blob

PostPosted by GunterFan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:48 pm

A Blob wrote:There were way too many things going on in this, and nothing felt fully developed. Patience barely appears, her motivations are still pretty vague, and she doesn't really get any sort of closure. IK and Magic Betty got some decent interactions near the beginning, but they kinda get pushed aside later on, and the resolution with Betty seemed very abrupt. Lumps are an element now? Ok, I can accept that, but for how much focus LSP got, she still felt just as one dimensional as ever.

I agree here. I was able to look past some of the blemishes because I did happen to think the jokes were pretty good, but there was a lot of awkwardness and (dare I say it) poor writing that left me scratching my head. Betty's wacka-do I'mma-kill-you-Ice-King turn was not cool. The thing with Patience was also a major let down. Still, I found much of the miniseries appealing and funny. Enough so that I don't think it was good or bad but rather just decent.

A Blob wrote:I think the episode could have worked fine as a stand alone episode rather than part of a miniseries.

I'm nearly positive that "Cloudy" was based on a very, very embryonic idea that the crew had had during season one wherein Finn and Jake get trapped on a cloud. I believe Pat McHale posted about it awhile ago. Either way, I agree. it would've been a funnier stand-alone episode.
Check out my Adventure Time Tumblr: gunterfan1992.tumblr.com
GunterFan

PostPosted by A Blob » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm

*****SPOILERS*****
GunterFan wrote:
A Blob wrote:I'm nearly positive that "Cloudy" was based on a very, very embryonic idea that the crew had had during season one wherein Finn and Jake get trapped on a cloud. I believe Pat McHale posted about it awhile ago. Either way, I agree. it would've been a funnier stand-alone episode.

That's right: http://kingofooo.tumblr.com/post/126301 ... -season-of
Heck, these rough thumbnails are practically identical to the final episode. Wild.
A Blob

PostPosted by AquaSeashells » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:27 pm

A Blob wrote:*****SPOILERS*****
GunterFan wrote:
A Blob wrote:I'm nearly positive that "Cloudy" was based on a very, very embryonic idea that the crew had had during season one wherein Finn and Jake get trapped on a cloud. I believe Pat McHale posted about it awhile ago. Either way, I agree. it would've been a funnier stand-alone episode.

That's right: http://kingofooo.tumblr.com/post/126301 ... -season-of
Heck, these rough thumbnails are practically identical to the final episode. Wild.

I'm gonna wait until Cloudy airs on TV so that I can add that to Production Notes on the AT Wiki since we are not allowed to add spoilers if it hasn't aired on TV yet (that's if someone doesn't beat me to it).
AquaSeashells

PostPosted by A Blob » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:37 pm

AquaSeashells wrote:I'm gonna wait until Cloudy airs on TV so that I can add that to Production Notes on the AT Wiki since we are not allowed to add spoilers if it hasn't aired on TV yet (that's if someone doesn't beat me to it).

I just checked the credits, and Pat actually did get a story credit for Cloudy, unsurprisingly.
A Blob

PostPosted by finnratchet » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:04 pm

After to see "Cloudy" i think that we to have an idea about the job that Finn will to have after him and Jake part ways on the future (probably after Jake to marry with Lady on the ending of the series)
finnratchet

PostPosted by Mordecai626 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:32 am

A Blob wrote:*****SPOILERS*****

Really wasn't feeling these episodes. The whole thing felt... off. It felt so forced and weirdly paced that I almost can't believe this was the same team that made Islands. It feels like they were going for a more light and comedic tone compared to Islands, which I'm cool with, but a lot of the humor really fell flat for me.

There were way too many things going on in this, and nothing felt fully developed. Patience barely appears, her motivations are still pretty vague, and she doesn't really get any sort of closure. IK and Magic Betty got some decent interactions near the beginning, but they kinda get pushed aside later on, and the resolution with Betty seemed very abrupt. Lumps are an element now? Ok, I can accept that, but for how much focus LSP got, she still felt just as one dimensional as ever.

On a more positive note, I did enjoy seeing all the elemental versions of the cast. The designs were suitably bizarre, and it was nice to see so many cameos from previous seasons (I was pleasantly surprised to see Choose Goose again). Having each element tied with a different emotional state was an interesting concept too, even if it made the elemental regions feel a bit one-note.
There was also some decent Finn and Jake interactions in this. The haircut scene in Cloudy was a high point for me, although I think the episode could have worked fine as a stand alone episode rather than part of a miniseries.

GunterFan wrote:So, this miniseries was a lot of fun, but it wasn't in the same ballpark as the other two.

With Stakes and Islands, we were treated to goofy antics on top of a somewhat deep(er) consideration of different philosophical topics, be it existentialism or the nature of technology. With Elements, it was just a standard AT episode dragged out over 8 episodes. I do not say that to diminish it in anyway, but rather to point out that it was more or less 'for fun.' There were indeed some big revelations (Jake's alien/mutant form reveal proves to be an interesting story), but other reveals were a bit out of nowhere. Finn snatched Farmworld Enchiridion? Eh, OK. Kinda Deus ex Machina-y, but I'll take it. Lumps are the anti-elementals? Ehhhh... We're veering closer to stupidland, but I'm still fine with accepting it. :P Patience being a totally workthless villain? Now that was a big let-down.

Ultimately, I found the whole thing to be fun but not spectacular.

Solid B.

SPOILERS:

I agree with what you guys said. Looking at it, Elements had a good premise. It seemed like a good idea to have a miniseries surrounding what happened while Finn & Jake were away on their adventures during Islands. Never thought we'd have two miniseries right after each other, but what can ya do? Anyway, coming out of Islands and going into this, I had high hopes but was ultimately disappointed. The plot felt choppy as it progressed and the comedy was really awkward and not on par with what Adventure Time usually offers. I didn't like what they did with the characters in the miniseries. First, introducing Patience as the main antagonist then suddenly forgetting about her and turning her into a side character felt like bad writing. Then Finn and Jake conveniently forget about BMO as Ice King Skyhook'd them from PB. After that, Jake conveniently disappears in the Slime Central episode. Choosing LSP as the "anti-elemental" felt forced to me. Yes, she hasn't had much screentime lately but there are many characters who could have been the one, if you know what I mean. LSP isn't exactly my favorite character as she's pretty annoying whenever she's on screen, so I felt weird for her to have been the chosen one.

Seeing the miniseries progress, it didn't really feel like a miniseries. It didn't have the same elements as Stakes or Islands (pun intended). Throughout it, I kept thinking how they were going to wrap it up. I had the same thoughts 5 minutes into the finale until LSP did the thing. Still, it didn't feel right. But I'm glad that they had the changes to each character after LSP un-did the magic. Sweet P's horn growing, Ice King's crown popping off (not sure what that signifies), and Jake looking like the mutant creature that caused him to exist(?). Looking at the storyboard for Abstract though, Jake seems to be back to normal. Not sure if that means he can shapeshift or if it takes place before Elements.
Enjoy what you have today, for you may not have it tomorrow
Mordecai626

PostPosted by AquaSeashells » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:17 am

Mordecai626 wrote:SPOILERS:

I agree with what you guys said. Looking at it, Elements had a good premise. It seemed like a good idea to have a miniseries surrounding what happened while Finn & Jake were away on their adventures during Islands. Never thought we'd have two miniseries right after each other, but what can ya do? Anyway, coming out of Islands and going into this, I had high hopes but was ultimately disappointed. The plot felt choppy as it progressed and the comedy was really awkward and not on par with what Adventure Time usually offers. I didn't like what they did with the characters in the miniseries. First, introducing Patience as the main antagonist then suddenly forgetting about her and turning her into a side character felt like bad writing. Then Finn and Jake conveniently forget about BMO as Ice King Skyhook'd them from PB. After that, Jake conveniently disappears in the Slime Central episode. Choosing LSP as the "anti-elemental" felt forced to me. Yes, she hasn't had much screentime lately but there are many characters who could have been the one, if you know what I mean. LSP isn't exactly my favorite character as she's pretty annoying whenever she's on screen, so I felt weird for her to have been the chosen one.

Seeing the miniseries progress, it didn't really feel like a miniseries. It didn't have the same elements as Stakes or Islands (pun intended). Throughout it, I kept thinking how they were going to wrap it up. I had the same thoughts 5 minutes into the finale until LSP did the thing. Still, it didn't feel right. But I'm glad that they had the changes to each character after LSP un-did the magic. Sweet P's horn growing, Ice King's crown popping off (not sure what that signifies), and Jake looking like the mutant creature that caused him to exist(?). Looking at the storyboard for Abstract though, Jake seems to be back to normal. Not sure if that means he can shapeshift or if it takes place before Elements.

I have a feeling that he might go back to normal in Abstract, but then again, it might be his true form. Besides, how would the intro be if they kept him like that?? Same with Finn having a metal arm which might be permanent for the whole series..
AquaSeashells

PostPosted by Thomas Hell » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:17 pm

**SPOILERS**

Ironically, the episodes that contains the elements were my least favorite among the miniseries. I felt like the writers had this idea out of nowhere but just didn't have ideas to develop them properly. Like Ice Kingdom is just some place for the depressed. Slime Kingdom is some giant skate park. Candy Kingdom is basically an outdoor asylum with a giant guardian. Fire Kingdom is uhh...Dark Ages. Not only that, Patience didn't even do much, which was really disappointing. I mean, it was interesting to see characters return in elemental form, buttttt I feel like its not justifiable for the lack of plot. However, I'm still glad that the story arcs are still going on. I can see the IK's crown gem falling out, Prismo and CO getting worried seeing Magic Betty with her motives, and THAT JAKE ENDING.

"Bespoken For" was a great episode. IK and Betty's interaction was pretty interesting. The episode itself managed to balance humor and drama pretty well. I'd say it's up there somewhere near "Hide and Seek".
"Cloudy" was also really good, probably my favorite from the entire miniseries. The haircut idea was brilliant to begin with. It's a nice chill episode where bros get to talk about their problems.
"Hero Heart" had lots of potential, but it just wasn't executed well. The main weakness of this episode is that I can barely feel any emotion in it. I swear the fire people spent like half the episode WALKING to fight the candy kingdom. Not only that, even Finn doesn't feel like Finn. What happened to the energy from the previous episode? Another thing is that I notice how EMPTY the atmosphere is. There's so much space that could be filled in, it just felt really awkward.
Despite the Deus Ex Machina, I actually enjoyed "Skyhooks II". The Prismo and CO cameo actually surprised me. Are they going to be important again in the future? Also, why didn't Finn think about Sweet P being the anti-elemental, since he's also immune to other elements?
Overall, I had mixed feelings for "Elements". It continues the story arcs in an interesting way, but it was executed rather poorly, which I hope is justifiable in future episodes.
Thomas Hell

PostPosted by Jake Suit » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:56 pm

SPOILERS
I wonder if what Betty did was a cosmic crime.
Jake Suit

PreviousNext

Return to New Episodes