Character Resolutions

Discuss anything on Adventure Time!

Character Resolutions

PostPosted by The Lich » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:07 pm

So with the show's end coming in due time, it appears the show is starting to wrap up most of its characters. Since AT has such a large character cast, I figured I'd make a list helping us keep track of characters who have/still need resolutions, or just what their general statuses are, which I'll keep short and simple. I'm grouping them in sections to make this easier to read. Note that I won't be including extremely minor characters (like some of the Candy Kingdom residents), or just characters I don't really know what to write about, but if I missed anyone that really needs to be here, let me know. If there are any mistakes, also let me know. Feel free to post things you want resolved from any of the characters listed below that the show hasn't already done or I didn't mention.

Main Characters:

Finn - has a robot arm now, got to meet his mother

Jake - came to terms with his alien form, and is back to normal

Bubblegum - ruling the Candy Kingdom just fine, and the residents respect her again

Marceline - Stakes seemed to wrap up her story; resolved her strained relationship with Bubblegum; only thing really untouched is reuniting with Simon

BMO - The More You Moe, The Moe You Know two-parter seemed to be his last major character development for now; is happily living at Finn and Jake's treehouse

Ice King/Simon - Elements Part 8 implies there's more story for him due to his crown losing a gem, unsure how it will go

Antagonists:

The Lich - currently trapped inside of Sweet P; implied he'll eventually return one final time (The Lich can still control Sweet P as shown in Whispers)

Orgalorg - trapped inside Gunter, we probably won't see him/it again (but who knows)

Maja - in a coma; may or may not wake up (if we never see her again, APTWE saying "she may never wake up" can be her closure)

Patience St. Pim - accepted her plan failed, and refroze herself

Grass Demon - has something planned depending what "the rising" is

Dr. Gross - possibly dead (?)

AMO - dead

Ricardio - Lady & Peebles probably wrapped him up; defeated by Bubblegum

Fear Feaster - dead

Kee-Oth - dead

Darren - dead

The Fool, The Empress, The Hierophant, and The Moon - all dead (or absorbed inside of Marcy again)

Vampire King - dead; last seen as a hallucination in Marcy's head

Flame King - accepted he's no longer ruler of the Fire Kingdom, and went off to rule over a bunch of chipmunks with Bun Bun as his friend

King of Ooo & Toronto - both of them fled the Candy Kingdom; Toronto was last seen in Elements Part 8, and a future storyboard panel hints we may see the two again one last time

Ash - last shown being knocked out by Simon, probably won't be seen again

Me-Mow - somehow was shown to be out of the Candy Kingdom jail in Elements, unsure if we'll see her again

Grassy Wizard - Do No Harm probably wrapped him up

Uncle Gumbald - since it's safe to say it's most likely him, he has something possibly antagonist planned based on the ending of Three Buckets

Plot Important Characters:

Susan - her story was wrapped up in Islands, went off to explore the world with Frieda; left on friendly terms with Finn and Jake

Betty - last shown stranded on Mars, so her story isn't done yet

Martin - became a cosmic god, unknown if we'll see him again

Minerva - had a heartfelt goodbye with Finn

Moe - dead; had a farewell to BMO through a memory

Fern - currently dead, but Uncle Gumbald picked up his remains, so his story isn't over

Jake's Alien Mother (The Shapeshifter/The Peeper) - unknown if we'll learn more backstory about it

Humans on Founders Island - the ending of Islands Part 8 implies they'll eventually leave when the time is right

Secondary Characters:

Lady Rainicorn - still happily together with Jake

Flame Princess - made amends with Finn, and is ruling the Fire Kingdom with no problems

Lumpy Space Princess - discovered her true power in Elements

Peppermint Butler - the script for Marcy & Hunson implies we may get an answer on his dark powers

Cinnamon Bun - seems to be fine living in the Fire Kingdom

Magic Man - made amends with his brother, and is now King of Mars; we may see him again since Betty is on Mars now

NEPTR - happily living in Finn and Jake's treehouse

Shelby - cool guy; nothing really to resolve for him, but maybe we'll see Kent again

Lemongrab - no longer insane, fused with Lemongrab 2, and is now a decent ruler of the Earldom

Jake's Kids (T.V., Charlie, Kim Kil Whan, Viola and Jake Jr.) - all had at least one focus episode, and seem to be living their lives just fine

Tree Trunks and Mr. Pig - happily married and raising Sweet P; Tree Trunks seems to be on better terms with Bubblegum as of High Strangeness, which may have been her last major development

Prismo - last shown in Elements Part 8, I'm sure he'll appear again; unknown who his boss is though

Cosmic Owl - last shown in Elements Part 8; Hoots pretty much explained his purpose

Minor & One-Time Characters:

Lemonhope - exploring the world, and will return to Ooo in the very distant future

Jermaine - got a new house; seems to be on good terms with Finn and Jake; Abstract may have been his final appearance

Donny - confirmed we probably won't see him again

Breezy - last shown in two Frog Seasons shorts, might not appear again

Tiffany - possibly dead (?)

Root Beer Guy - brought back as Dirt Beer Guy, and is happily with Cherry Cream Soda

Huntress Wizard - briefly had a relationship with Finn, and has a few cameos afterwards; will reappear in The Wild Hunt

Hunson Abadeer - confirmed to appear in Marcy & Hunson, so he'll get closure there most likely

Xergiok - pretty sure The Great Bird Man concluded him; reformed and is happy with his mermaid girlfriend

Abracadaniel - is no longer a prisoner in Ice King's castle, last shown in Elements Part 5

Goliad & Stormo - both are still locked in an eternal staring contest, unsure if we'll see them again

Grob Gob Glob Grod - shown to still be alive and floating around in space

GOLB - unclear what they'll do with him, if anything at all; The Lich is one of his scholars as mentioned in Whispers, so perhaps they will do something with that

Billy - dead; made peace with Finn in Billy's Bucket List

Canyon - Finn and Jake are friends with her

Rattleballs - he's fine; implied he may be trying to rebuild his kind in Jake the Brick

Ancient Psychic Tandem War Elephant - still with Maja, but seems to be on decent terms with Finn and Jake based on Flute Spell

James (and clones) - exiled to the desert in James II, last appeared in Abstract

Shoko/Ghost Lady - had her backstory explained in The Vault, seems wrapped up

Peace Master - I always felt he was just a one-off character, so I doubt we'll see him again, but who knows, I've been wrong before

The Citadel Prisoners - unknown what happened to any of them, this may be one loose end that won't be addressed

Cuber - Graybles 1000+ may have concluded him

Farmworld Characters - all of them are living in peace

Fionna and Cake Characters - Fionna and Cake and Fionna may have been their final appearance (?); unsure if the ending will be followed up

Obviously not everyone's story is over yet, but I figured this could act as a map that can help us speculate on how their arcs will go in the remaining episodes, and on who needs closure the most.
Last edited by The Lich on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 33 times in total.
The Lich

Re: Character Resolutions

PostPosted by Jake Suit » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:00 am

Here's my take on it:

Finn:
Still needs his love life to be wrapped up, maybe a little more stuff with humans if some humans from Founders Island ever come to Ooo or if he has another encounter with Dr Gross

Jake:
Some more stuff with his alien DNA is certainly coming up, most likely some development and backstory regarding his relationship with his parents, maybe more backstory about his criminal past

Princess Bubblegum:
Maybe some stuff with Uncle Gumball, some follow up to expanding her kingdom into space, why her kingdom is the way it is in Graybles 1000+, maybe she'll finally get a heir to the throne, her relationship with her citizens after the events of Jelly Beans Have Power and Elements

Peppermint Butler:
Some backstory for him and development on his connection with the dark arts possibly coming in Marcy and Hunson and maybe in other episodes

Lemongrab:
Mostly wrapped up, maybe he'll get back on good terms with Bonnie

Ice King:
The gem that fell out and the ice thing which ties into if Simon will ever get cured has to get wrapped up

Betty:
Her sanity, possibly healing Simon, redemption after Elements, doing something on Mars

Magic Man:
his story is basicly over except for dealing with Betty unless we get more Golb

Golb:
Maaaybe the writers will explore him more

Prismo:
Maybe something with his boss or Betty after his reaction to her in Elements
Gunter:
Maybe we'll get some more closure to the whole Orgalorg thing but probably not

Lumpy Space Princess:
Maybe she'll finally get a boyfriend, something else with her relationship with her parents, maybe she'll rule lumpy space

Marceline:
Her relationship with Hunson will be wrapped up, hopefully a confirmation of if she ever had a romance with PB, maybe more backstory about her mother, maybe we'll see if/how the Vampire King visions are affecting her

Hunson Abadeer:
Will be wrapped up in Marcy and Hunson

Flame Princess:
Maybe something more with the Fire Giants, her relationship with Flame King, or even her mother

Cinnamon Bun:
Other than a comfirmation of if he's on good terms with FP again after Elements he's wrapped up

Slime Princess:
Other than cameos, she's done and even got a nice final slime episode with Slime Central

Tree Trunks and Mr Pig:
Dealing with some Sweat Pea/Lich stuff, maybe the Livh will kill them

Abracadaniel:
Maybe seeing how he's doing after his falling out with Ice King, or maybe even making up with Ice King

Canyon:
Maybe some backstory about her species but probably not

Huntress Wizard:
Another episode about her would be great, but I doubt it, doesn't seem to have anything else to do in the show other than cameos

Rattleballs:
Maybe we'll finally see whats up with him rebuilding those robots

Donny:
It'd be cool to have him return, but its confirmed thats unlikely

Susan:
Completely wrapped up

Martin:
Maybe backstory on how he ended up in the citadel and an appearence of him in his new form

Minnerva:
Maybe we'll learn in Finn ever returns to visit her

Lady Rainicorn:
Maybe more Rainicorn-Dog Wars backstory, marrying Jake

Jake's kids:
All got there screentime, but TV could get some more wrap up, maybe he'll look for a job in the Crytal Dimension

Browyn:
Another episode about her would be cool, but she's probably done

Jermaine:
Another episode on him would be great but it probably won't happen

BMO:
Maybe he'll return/run the Moe factory

NEPTR:
No wrapping up needed

Shelby:
No wrapping up needed

Breakfast Princess:
Maybe another conflict between her and LSP

Patience:
Completely wrapped up

Dr Gross:
Will probably return and be defeated or redeemed

Tiffany:
Will probably return, making ammends with Jake

Maja:
Still needs to wake up and either be redeemed or defeated

APTWE:
Some stuff with Maja

Ghost Princess:
Her returning would be cool, but she was pretty much wrapped up back in season 3

Sweat Pea/The Lich:
The Lich needs to be finally defeated for good and what will happen to Sweat Pea, the lich's hand in every dimension will proabably play a role

Fern:
Some stuff with the grass demon, maybe some more stuff with Grassy Wizard, his relationship with Finn

Me-Mow:
He did say he'd get his revenge in Angel Face, so maybe he'll return again

Ricardio:
It'd be cool to check up on his character, but I doubt it

Lemonhope:
Completelt wrapped up after his two parter

Fionna and Cake Fanfiction:
Will get wrapped up in Fionna and Cake and Fionna, maybe Ice King will make a fanfic about them meeting Finn and Jake or the genderswapped Lich, maybe a resolution to if Ice King will ever make them real

Farmworld Characters:
Completely wrapped up in Crossover

The Citadel Prisoners:
Maybe we'll finally find out what happened to them

James:
Him and his clones could return but they were basicly wrapped up in James 2

Buisness Men:
Some characters that would be cool to bring back but probably won't happen

Cuber:
Completely wrapped up in Graybles 1000+

The Ghost Lady/Shoko:
Completely wrapped up in The Vault

Goliad and Stormo:
I'd love to see them return but I doubt they will

King of Ooo and Toronto:
I'd love to see what happened to them after Stakes but I doubt we will
Jake Suit

PostPosted by GunterFan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:40 pm

Looking over these lists, I'm struck by how many of the characters have had their arcs wrapped up, or at least put into a position where, if the show does end without addressing them, it won't be massively disappointing.

I think that we're going to get some resolution with Marceline and her father in "Marcy & Hunson", and I suspect that Marceline will play a part in the finale.

Flame Princess and Finn may reconcile and re-ignite their romance, but who knows at this point. I do think the show will try to provide a resolution for Finn's romantics life.

The inter-connected Ice King, Betty, and Magic Man story will surely be answered. Possibly, it will be through this resolution that we'll get to know more about GOLB. If the show doesn't explore GOLB, I'll be disappointed, but it's not a deal breaker. However, they surely will provide a solid end to Ice King.

Bubblegum has continued to grow over the last few seasons, and I'm not sure if there's much more that really needs to be done with her character.

The Lich is a big ol' question mark, but I'm sure he'll be back for the finale.

I'd like to know more about Prismo's boss, as well as some minor characters, but these are all resolutions that I do not believe are critical and/or can be provided for in a canonical spin-off comic book series/book or the like.

And finally, we're going to get some resolution with Jake and his alien-ness, but that might come sooner rather than later.
Check out my Adventure Time Tumblr: gunterfan1992.tumblr.com
GunterFan

PostPosted by thivi15 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:21 pm

It looks like nobody mentioned Fern. I think it's safe to say he is still playing a major role.
For the rest, I agree with all that was said before. I feel like Dr Gross still has stuff to do and if Prismo's boss was just a mislead, I would rather it had never be mentioned.
thivi15

PostPosted by The Lich » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:09 pm

thivi15 wrote:It looks like nobody mentioned Fern. I think it's safe to say he is still playing a major role.
For the rest, I agree with all that was said before. I feel like Dr Gross still has stuff to do and if Prismo's boss was just a mislead, I would rather it had never be mentioned.

I actually did mention Fern under "Plot Important Characters" in my post, and Jake Suit did as well. You're right though, Fern definitely has stuff coming for him. As for Dr. Gross, I'm unsure if she truly perished at the end of "Preboot" (along with Tiffany), which is why I wrote them as "possibly dead (?)", but I could be totally wrong and they'll turn out to be alive before the end. We'll see.

Anyways, I've finished updating my list with every notable character I could think of. It does seem like most characters have their stories wrapped up for the most part, other than an obvious few exceptions. As GunterFan said, I'll be content if they address the most important things regarding certain characters (mostly the main characters and other plot related characters). I won't be upset if there's a few minor points left open for some characters, which I'm sure there will be. They could always answer any smaller loose ends through an AMA or a book/comic, which would be cool. We can also use the list as a reference to see who gets/didn't get closure when we reach the end of the show.
The Lich

PostPosted by GunterFan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:42 pm

Looking at the list, I'm actually rather impressed at how many characters have had storylines wrapped up.
Check out my Adventure Time Tumblr: gunterfan1992.tumblr.com
GunterFan

PostPosted by Melkor » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:00 am

So, with Three Buckets being the episode which Season 8 was originally intended to end off on, that means that Season nine will only 18 episodes long, given that the series is supposed to end on Episode 284, and then the series is over. Do you guys think 18 episodes will be enough to wrap up all the major or relevant plot points in Adventure Time? If the final season is going to attempt to wrap things up in a satisfying and conclusive way, then the last 18 episodes will have to be very story heavy and have almost no filler episodes, but I don't think that is going to happen. It would be really cool if all the episodes of Season 9 just told one continuous story, kind of like what the final season of Samurai Jack did. I find it pretty ironic that the three miniseries we've had for Adventure Time have actually had way more plot advancement and have answered way more questions about the story than the actual main series itself.
Last edited by Melkor on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melkor

PostPosted by Dark Zero » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:44 am

Melkor wrote:So, with Three Buckets being the episode which Season 8 was originally intended to end off on, that means that Season nine will only 18 episodes long, given that the series is supposed to end on Episode 284, and then the series is over. Do you guys think 18 episodes will be enough to wrap up all the major or relevant plot points in Adventure Time? If the final season is going to attempt to wrap things up in a satisfying and conclusive way, then the last 18 episodes will have to be very story heavy and have almost no filler episodes, but I don't think that is going to happen. It would be really cool if all the episodes of Season nine just told one continuous story, kind of like what the final season of Samurai Jack did. I find it pretty ironic that the three miniseries we've had for Adventure Time have actually had way more plot advancement and have answered way more questions about the story than the actual main series itself.

Maybe deliver a main character resolucion on each chapter?
And is hard to end like that... unless a Movie happen and a BIG epilogue of 10 minutes happens ending each MC story. Remember that the movie is supposed to last 1 hour 30 minutes, so that's 8 to 9 chapters. It would bump up to 26 final chapters...

If that so, we can conclude most of the secondary's characters story in one season... and the movie to finish the MC ones.

But for now which character's story are still pending to close? I see the following ones:
- Finn (due Dr. Gross and his future, no romantic life here, that's the longest, 5 chapters and for the finale)
- Jake (due his DNA alien, it could be 3 chapters)
- Ice King (and by proxy Marcy and Betty, 1 chapter)
- PB (maybe by helping Marcy this time on IK's problem? and Uncle Gumbald, for the 1st is 1 chapter, but as for the 2nd it could be along the finale)... oh as a Bonus, she could meet Minerva (Finn's mother) and help her with getting out of the island. That could be another chapter, but it would be a total interesting way to see what happens if she goes outside the island.
- FP (the only 2 things left for her are: her final relationship with Finn (friends or close ones) and her mother (won't be surprised if that information plays a key role for the finale here), for both it might be 1 chapter... but maybe assuring her return as for the finale (Bus Came Back scenario?).... oh wait.... her unstable elemental matrix might come to play it again.... another chapter more.

All the rest are pretty done (even LR and LSP) and they will reappear as for the finale as friends or as enemies (specially Maja, Dr. Gross, Orgalorg, Ricardio and GOLB)
Dark Zero

PostPosted by The Lich » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:20 am

Melkor wrote:So, with Three Buckets being the episode which Season 8 was originally intended to end off on, that means that Season nine will only 18 episodes long, given that the series is supposed to end on Episode 284, and then the series is over. Do you guys think 18 episodes will be enough to wrap up all the major or relevant plot points in Adventure Time? If the final season is going to attempt to wrap things up in a satisfying and conclusive way, then the last 18 episodes will have to be very story heavy and have almost no filler episodes, but I don't think that is going to happen. It would be really cool if all the episodes of Season 9 just told one continuous story, kind of like what the final season of Samurai Jack did. I find it pretty ironic that the three miniseries we've had for Adventure Time have actually had way more plot advancement and have answered way more questions about the story than the actual main series itself.

There's actually only 16 episodes left after Three Buckets. The crew has stated that the Graybles Allsorts shorts (from Season 6) and Frog Seasons shorts (from Season 7) each counted as an episode to the 284 count. Therefore, the Season 9 in production order is only 16 episodes long instead of 18.
The Lich

PostPosted by Melkor » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:51 am

The Lich wrote:There's actually only 16 episodes left after Three Buckets. The crew has stated that the Graybles Allsorts shorts (from Season 6) and Frog Seasons shorts (from Season 7) each counted as an episode to the 284 count. Therefore, the Season 9 in production order is only 16 episodes long instead of 18.

Really? Well that's a bummer. It feels weird having the final season be this short when compared to the others. I can't really see much being resolved in such a short amount of time. With the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if the series ends off on an open ending that doesn't reveal the futures lives or fates of the main characters like many are hoping, particularity when it comes to the romantic elements, and it is just left to our imagination. As for the theatrical movie, which was announced back in 2015, from what I heard it's still in development hell and Pendelton Ward is still trying to work out the basic premise for it. I also wouldn't be surprised if the movie ends up getting cancelled prematurely while still in production, given how Cartoon Network has been treating Adventure Time recently and constantly giving it the short end of the stick.
Melkor

Next

Return to Show Discussion